1955 ASHE-ARMSTRONG CO.
We've Been Supplying the
Industry for More Than Half a Century. Control Switches International, Inc. can trace its roots to 1955, to the founding of
the partnership of Ashe-Armstrong Company in Los Angeles. The company marketed
electrical and mechanical components to the aerospace industry and government
supported facilities, most of which were located in the Western United States,
primarily Southern California.
1957 CONTROL SWITCHES.
Changing Focus With The Changing Market. Changing with the market,
the partnership dissolved in 1957, and Control Switches, Inc., a California
company, was formed. The new corporation purchased the assets and product
lines of the original partnership and invited the participation of
additional stockholders. Control Switches introduced some new product lines
that helped the company expand its market to the fast-growing industrial
First Subsidiary Formed. In 1974, Control Switches, Inc. established Electrical Power and Controls, Inc. (EPC)
as its wholly owned subsidiary. EPC was created to be a stocking distributor of
electrical and electronic components manufactured by domestic and foreign companies.
Shares in the subsidiary were issued and sales and management people joined the EPC
staff. EPC purchased a substantial parts inventory to augment CSI’s line and began
to address the markets located primarily in Arizona, California and Nevada. At the
same time, CSI became a holding company for the purpose of future acquisitions and
CSII Formed. In 1977, management and stockholders approved the incorporation of a new company, to
import, promote and distribute components throughout North and South America. Called Control
Switches, International, Inc. (CSII), the new entity’s immediate emphasis would be to
market electrical components within the United States, Canada and Mexico through
manufacturers representatives, with gradual geographical expansion.
1980 FAMILY OWNED
Management Move. In 1980, D. J. ("Jack") Armstrong, one of the founders of Control Switches, Inc.,
purchased the outstanding stock of the other investors and assumed control of the
1992 CUSTOM CONTROL PANEL SHOP
Custom Track Facility Established. In 1992, a "value added" facility was established in order to supply customers’
needs from electrical products carried in inventory by both EPC and CSII. Approved
for Industrial Control Panel, UL508A assembly, this department undergoes regular UL
inspections. Its operation includes switches wired to terminal blocks and mounted in
all types of enclosures, sectional terminal blocks assembled on din rail and
mounted in enclosures; and contactors and relays designed into panels.
1997 WOMEN OWNED
Family Members’ Loyalty Continues. Three daughters manage the operation today, collectively offering over 100 years of
service. Peggy Turner joined EPC’s sales force in 1981, transferred to CSII in
the mid-1980s, and is now Vice President. Judy Steward got her start with EPC in
outside sales in 1981; she is now Vice President of EPC. Susi Moore brought her
financial expertise to the company in 1991 as Controller and today serves as the
Chief Financial Officer.
Unique Business Advantages for CSII. In 1997, CSI qualified as a "woman owned" company and a minority supplier for
federal and state purchases of materials, a distinct advantage for a private
corporation bidding for public projects.
CSII's network of independent manufacturers’ representatives is
expanding into parts of Canada and Mexico. Although engineering and management staff
are currently located in the Long Beach corporate offices, CSII plans regional sales
offices in the near future.
A dedicated staff has contributed significantly to the success of
the CSI companies and includes several employees with ten to more than
CSII At Your Service. Our employees are happy to address your special design and product needs.
We will work hard to ensure customer
satisfaction by providing quality products, competitive pricing & superior
customer service, with trust and integity.